Tuesday, May 30, 2006

A Very Memorial Weekend

This past holiday weekend brought some much needed family bonding time, as well as some not so much needed family bonding time. I'll get to that in a minute though.

Saturday, we went to the zoo (my favorite home away from home) and we took in the beautiful weather and the amazing sites of our rapidly expanding zoo.
Mr. Vinny and Miss Maddy even got to see some life size dinosaurs that are going to be visiting our zoo over the summer.

I always enjoy watching my children, or any child for that matter, completely engross themselves into a new and exciting environment. It's as though nothing else in the world matters, except for that fantastic moment they're living in. You can see it in their eyes and feel it in thier movement.

I wish that we, as adults, could feel that way again. Our job now, is only to help shape our childrens' awareness in order to make sure all of the wonderful experiences they take in as children, will still be within reach when they too, become adults.

I have to say, my favorite part was going for a ride on the carousel with Mr. Vin! Though he wasn't too happy when I told him we had to wait in line to take our turn on the carousel. Once we got on though, Vinny was ALL smiles, and so was I.

Our Not so much needed family bonding, came on Sunday when we traveled over to my father-in-law's home for his retirement party. Don't get me wrong now, the kids had a great time visiting with their "cousins" and I was happy that my father-in-law can better enjoy his life without the hassle of work. I do like my father-in-law, it's Kevin's step-mom and her kids that baffle my mind. This might sound terrible, but I'm convinced they hate me. The thing is, it's not only me, they rarely speak to Kevin or even to my sister-in-law Kim. I can get over any dislike for me, Que Serra Serra, but being anti-social with people that have been part of your "extended" family for over 20 years? -What the hell is up with that?

Oh well, family is family right?

Memorial Day Monday found Vinny and Maddy lounging by their pool and soaking up the rays. My little "plus size model" was less than thrilled when I took her out of the water.

And Vinny learned that if the ants don't get your stray food....Rex will. The dog might be 14, but the nose works like new! Later, we journeyed over to Kelly and Aaron's place, and Aaron showed us his grilling magic in a pair of stellar house slippers!


Of course, we took time to remember those this holiday came to celebrate. The soldiers, and veterans of the armed services who proudly fought, and continue to do so, to ensure our privileged ways of life. I thought of my grandpas, I thought about my brother Brian, who is in the Navy, and I thought about Kevin. I can't even begin to imagine how very much I'll miss him when (if) the time came for him to serve his country.

I also thought about my mom. It hit me Saturday afternoon when I remembered it was my mom's birthday. She would've been 55. So Memorial Day has many new meanings for me. It is a time for me to reflect on all of the things that I have, and know that none of it would've been possible if others hadn't sacrificed their lives for the better of our future. It is also a time for me to reconnect with the true meaning of sacrifice, and know that I am myself, a better person in the process.

And it is now a time for me as a wife and mother, to help create the memories that my family will carry with them for the rest of their days.

I hope your Memorial Day was memorable as well, the way it was meant to be.

2 Comments:

At 3:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh, I can't believe how good you look in that picture of you with your son.

Thats just plain wrong for ya'll to look like that!

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Addy said...

Oh thanks, I think.

I personally thought I looked horrible, but Vinny looked cute so I posted it.

And what do you mean by, "Thats just plain wrong for ya'll to look like that."

Who's ya'll? Or is that just your southerness coming our again? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
hit Counter