Monday, December 12, 2005

...and for this, I apologize

In one of my recent posts, I made reference to an ex-boyfriend of mine and falsely represented his dating status.
While this was not my intention, nor was I aware that he had been living with someone for 2 1/2 years, I undeniably roughed the waters of his current realtionship.

Tonight, shortly after finally getting my kids to bed, the phone rang. Needless to say it woke up my son. Anywho, the voice on the other line was none other than Matt (the Lovemachine) himself. Oddly surprised, I said, "Hey! How are you?"
Then he proceeded to ask me if I was familiar with some blogspot something or other and asked if I wrote two pages about him on my blog.
"No" I said. "It was more like a paragraph, and it was about how you always told me when we dated that you should never have to work at a relationship and how I disagreed,"
and I then said, "I jokingly added- thats why you were still single."

Well, as I mentioned above, I can't say that I remembered him telling me he was living with a girl for 2 1/2 years. And rightfully so, why would he tell me?
And moreover, why would I care? It's really none of my business. When I have seen Matt, our conversations are momentary and consist of nothing more than...
"How's your mom doing?"
"My kids are great"
"Wow, wrestling in Italy, good for you."
Thats about it. Anything more would require entirely too much effort on each of our behalves.

So as Matt is talking to me on the phone about my controversial blog post, he asked me if I could tell his girlfriend (who I'll remain nameless out of respect for her) that he and I haven't gone out on a date for a couple of years, and that basically there's nothing between us.
"Sure" I said. I'm a good sport, and I don't want to cause drama in anyone's relationship. And since I've actually BEEN in her shoes before, I felt I owed it to her. No one deserves to feel that they've been lied to.

So she got on the phone and I told her that Matt and I haven't been out together in more than a couple of years. It's more like 5 years to be exact. Shit, I've been married for a couple of years. I've got a couple of kids. If Matt was in my agenda (which he's not) why would he even dream of taking on all of my baggage. That would just be silly.

I guess when I used the word "SINGLE" to describe Matt's social status, I meant- not married. In my world now, either you're single, or you're married.
Not that I'm discrediting relationships of co-habitation either. I was Kevin's
"domestic partner" before we got married.
Domestic partnership- it's not just for gay people anymore.

Bottom line, she felt offended, and for that, I apologize to her. And out of respect for their very commited and serious relationship of the heart, I will remove the post where I spoke of Matt and lighteheartedly poked fun at him and his long-since-extinct dating habits.

So if you are indeed a fan of "The Lovemachine", you only have a few hours left to click on the link I supplied to give him his props, and purchase The Lovemachine's Greatest Matches on VHS or DVD.

I guess the only positive thing that came from this, is that I know people other than Aaron, read my blog, even if they don't comment.

Besides, I've got my own Lovemachine, and we have our own "greatest matches" collection, but you can't buy those tapes online----well, not yet at least.

2 Comments:

At 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You shouldn't feel bad about making fun of an ex, thats what their for! or perhaps make fun of the ones that don't give a F..k :)

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger Addy said...

Well I didn't feel bad about making fun of him...and I don't think he did either. It was his girlfriend that was a little upset. And that's a delicate balance i don't want to mess with! I know how evil we women can be!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
hit Counter