Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Understanding People, I'm trying

In light of that fact that I have been bickerring with someone, who I would consider to be a good friend, lately, about the true intent of my words on this blog... I've been inspired to post one of the most difficult activities I've ever taken part in, to see where a person's true intentions lie.

When I went to MATC, this assignment was given to our speech class. What it has to do with speech, I'm still not sure?. What it DID do however, was open our eyes to what it really means to understand others, and not just pre-judge from what little you may or may not know about an individual. This was after 9/11 so the atmosphere around this assignment was very serious. Almost too serious. It is meant to be a worksheet for coming to a consensus within a group of varied beliefs, opinions and walks of life. So it was perfect for MATC, otherwise known as
Milwaukee's Area Tribunal Counsel.
If you're a fan of the show Unanimous, 24, Survivor or even LOST, you'll probably enjoy this activity. Or even if you just enjoy playing Devil's advocate.
It has stayed with me ever since that speech class and I've just now found it on the web after a dozen or so word searches.
***By the way, my group never came to an ultimate unanimous decision. Rather, some of us "broke the rules" and gave in, for the better of our grades.
If you would like to post your top 4 picks in the comment box, I would enjoy seeing your thought process in critical descision making.
I will list MY top 4 picks (that to this day, still remain the same) after I've given other people the chance to fairly look within themselves, instead of trying to challenge my ideals.
Enjoy!
Airplane Hostages”


Instructions:
A plane has been hijacked! The hijackers offer to release four passengers to the U.S. embassy. In return for this gesture, the government of a neutral country will agree to allow the plane to land at its airport and refuel.
The captors insist, however, that U.S. authorities select the four to be released from the following list. The President has given your group the job of making the selection. If you do not select the people, the hijackers are perfectly willing to allow the plane to run out of gas and crash, killing all passengers. You must reach a decision by consensus, and you must do so within the next half hour.
You may assume the terrorists are honest about releasing those who are chosen to be released. You do not know what will happen to those who remain on the plane, but given what is known about this particular terrorist group, you expect most or all of the remaining hostages probably will die.
Quickly rank the following passengers in the order in which you would choose them to be released. In the column titled “Your rank,” place the number 1 by the hostage you would save first, the number 2 by the one you would save second, and so on through number 8, the hostage you would save last.


Hostages Your Rank
1. Brenda Jones, age 27, has three children by three different fathers, none of whom she has married. She loves her children, however, and has resolved to get her life together for the children’s sake. Her mother is caring for them so Brenda can attend a six-week training program for women who lack job skills.
2. Fr. John O’Brien, 65 years old, is in excellent health. A Roman Catholic priest, he has dedicated his life to working with the poor in an inner-city ghetto. He is taking this flight to arrange for funding and personnel that will enable him to set up a program to carry on his life’s work after he becomes unable to work. Should he die at this time, the work probably will end.
3. Juan Garcia is 45. He has a history of heart trouble and might not survive the stress of a prolonged hostage situation. He is a wealthy businessman whose estate would easily provide for his wife and three young children, even if he should die in the hijacking. His business, however, which has employed and given dignity to many Hispanic people, probably would fold without his vision and drive, putting many people out of work who will not be able to find jobs
4. Elijah Brown is 52. He did time in jail for armed robbery. Since his release two years ago, he has worked hard, gone to school part time, and supported his invalid wife and youngest child (the only one remaining at home). There would be no money to provide for his family in the event of his death.
5. Betsy Bates, 29, is a well-known and successful model. Married a little over a year to rock star Duke, she has just found out that she is pregnant, a discovery she views with mixed feelings.
6. Congresswoman Jan Perkins is 47. Widowed young, when her husband died in the crash of an Air Force plane while on a diplomatic mission for the State Department, she has devoted her life to politics. She has been an effective and eloquent worker for peace and for the rights of women and minorities. Her death would be a crushing emotional blow to her elderly parents, though she has provided for them financially in her will. Perkins is widely seen as the most likely candidate for the first woman President of the United States.
7. D. B. Calhoun is 43. Little is known about him, except that he is a very bigoted person with an unstable employment history. He reads Soldier of Fortune and similar magazines, and dreams about being a mercenary. It is quite possible that he will try some hostile action against the hijackers and ruin any chance of getting the remaining hostages out alive.
8. Andrea Ohms, at 19, is already a distinguished pianist, having started performing professionally at age 8. Her performances give immense pleasure to thousands of people around the world. She is engaged to be married.
THE RULES
Your task is to reach a consensus ranking of the four hostages to be released by the terrorists. This means that the ranking for each of the four should be agreed upon by each member of the group before it becomes part of the group decision. Here are some guidelines to use in reaching consensus.

1. Don’t argue stubbornly for your own point of view just because it is yours
. (An emotion that greatly exists in the blogosphere) Listen to other members of the group and be willing to change your views on the basis of reason and logic.

2. On the other hand, don’t change your mind simply to avoid disagreement. Seek differences of opinion and try to get every member involved in the decision-making process. The more information you have, the better chance you will have of making a sound decision.
3. Avoid such techniques as majority vote, averaging, flipping coins, and bargaining
So who would YOU choose? Some of them seem like "no brainers" but you would be surprised at how many people have deep set prejudices they don't even know about. Others hold the belief of "Don't judge me until you walk a mile in my shoes"
I love projects like these, because it really helps someone to better see who they are.
This is my attempt to live up to the TROLLING I've been described as doing. With something like this, I encourage everyone to participate.

13 Comments:

At 10:47 AM, Blogger Addy said...

Thanks for sharing your input! You're very right, it is difficult to put a value on human life, but that's what nations and governments have to do with us, "the people" all the time!

 
At 3:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1) 8. Andrea Ohms
2) 5. Betsy Bates
3) 6. Congresswoman Jan Perkins
4) 1. Brenda Jones
5) 2. Fr. John O’Brien
6) 7. D. B. Calhoun
7) 3. Juan Garcia
8) 4. Elijah Brown

I ranked these people off of age, health, contribution to the world, and the impact on others if they were not around.

I could debate a few with myself but here is how I would choose.

(trueliberal) Why would you rate a person (Juan Garcia) who has poor health, medium age, a secure family, and a business that may still exist No.2 in your rating?

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Aaron said...

this question ultimately asks you to put a value on human life.

Trueliberal: At least we see that your name is non a misnomer. It's just like a liberal to go half way and stop, while ignoring the consequences. By the way, if saving human life is the utmost concern shouldn't the militant (probably talk radio listener) be first in line to go?

Isn't it too bad that we've had a feminist revolution? There are four women on this list. If this were the Titanic sinking they get off first, end of discussion. Thank you Susan B. Anthony for making this question a moral dilema. :)

I must be the militant man, because I say let the terrorists pick. While they're busy trying to figure out what the hell is going on, everyone rushes them and we don't stop clubbing until they quit twitching.

That must be why the question places you, as the decider, outside the plane. In that case, I say string the terrorists along while you send in the snipers.

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger Addy said...

Aaron, if I were drinking milk, it would've just spurted out of my nose after reading your relpy!
"I must be the militant man, because I say let the terrorists pick. While they're busy trying to figure out what the hell is going on, everyone rushes them and we don't stop clubbing until they quit twitching."

This coming from the guy that got kidnapped and thrown into a minivan by a drunken diabetic and his equally drunken partner who wears glasses! HA!

Yeah Aaron, you're one bad ass. ;)
Thats why I love ya!
But I'll let Trueliberal fight his own battles with you A-Rod.

And Danno went with the gentlemanly gesture of allowing
"ladies first" that Aaron was happy to abolish.
Why, besides the OBVIOUS reason of familiar naming, did you choose Andrea, the 19-year-old pianist as your top pick? Just curious.

 
At 12:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on, a 19yo chick that's good with her fingers, and her performances give immense pleasure... all this and I saved her life!
You know us men. If it takes us longer than 27 seconds to think about something, we go straight to sex.


Actually, I was serious with my picks. I'm ready to go! I'd like to see what any of you laymen have up against math and science.
Each person was given statistical weight and numbers utilizing the data given. Outside information about the terrorist group was multiplied in the appropriate categories. Erroraneous information was neglected. All this was entered into a spread sheet and calculated throughout. It made the analysis quite simple.
This was very similar to something I once saw about a van load of drunks going to Vegas. Even there it worked quiet well; neglecting any feelings or silly human responses, like if one person really didn't want to ride for that long.
But, once again it happened, after about a half minute, my mind began to drift, and I... well, I just went with the girls. Odds have gotta be that one of them is hot. And who knows?, I might just get lucky.

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Addy said...

I admire your off the wall descriptive analysis, but maybe some of the "erroneous information" you neglected, actually made you work harder. You could've come your conclusion without even hitting that "male 27 second mind change to sex" by looking no furthur than Betsy Bates. You said,
"But, once again it happened, after about a half minute, my mind began to drift, and I... well, I just went with the girls. Odds have gotta be that one of them is hot. And who knows?, I might just get lucky. "
Betsy is the model who's married to the rock star. Maybe he's on the plane too and they just don't think he's worth saving. (I know it sounds ridiculous to hear that musician would die in a plane crash)If you saved the model(who we know is probably hot), her lack of common sense and talent for taking every direction given to her, would ensure you many happy days to come. With her rockstar hubby gone, she would be powerless against your down home charm. Furthermore, she's pregnant...you could shag like minks as much, and as unprotected as you want.
The conservative pianist, well I think it would be more difficult to get in her pants. Plus you've got to think she would always be playing the 1812 Overture in her head during sex...and thats just too much pressure for a fella.
You gotta' go with the pregnant model...thats what my husband did! ;)

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Aaron said...

Just like a Republican...never following the rules.

If you ask Addy, she'll tell you that it has nothing to do with my politics.

I enjoy thinking outside the box.

Hey! I vote we set the terrorists free and shoot them on the runway.

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger Addy said...

"If you ask Addy, she'll tell you that it has nothing to do with my politics."

Don't drag me into this one...anytime I say something, my sentiments get twisted around more than my stomach after eating chinese food

 
At 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First released: #5. Betsy Bates - This is a no-brainer. She's pregnant. You just got a two for one.

Second released: #6. Congresswoman Jan Perkins - Because the odds of them letting her go/live after they know they have a Congressperson (no matter what they have planned for everyone else) is 0. If you have the chance to get her off, you get her off.

Now it starts getting tough:

Third released: 8. Andrea Ohms: At 19, she'll get the "most" out of being saved.

Fourth release is basically a toss-up between 7. D. B. Calhoun and Brenda Jones. But in the end, I'd get Calhoun off the plane because not having him aboard probably increases the odds of surival for the people remaining on the plane.

 
At 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

trueliberal, I don't believe I read the description wrong, its just that we interpret it differently.

written quote:
"probably would fold without his vision and drive"

I said that his business "may still exist", which you have to accept as true by definition, but the optimistic side of it. I also look at far more than just one facet of each person when determining my picks.

For example, the 19yo pianist, I ranked her high largely on her age and that it is scientifically proven (by more than one institute) that there is a direct correlation between musical talent and genius. The fact that she has already accomplished so much shows great potential that she will continue to do so. This combined with her probable intelligence leads to a high potential that she will do a greater good for the world either through herself or her future family.

Juan Garcia is 45 and may die soon, again ascertain from the given information. If he did not structure his business to be self dependant by now, in all likely hood it never will be. There is a higher probability that he will die within a year or so any ways; if that did occur, would you still look back as your choice being a wise one. We do need to take the information and speculate with probabilities and then rank them.


elliot, I see you picked 3 of my top 4, and you are on the fence with D. B. Calhoun and Brenda Jones. You chose D.B. because of the probability that he will provoke hostile action and eliminate the chances of the remaining 4.
Heres why I made my decision:
I took the information given and separated facts from unsupported speculation. The unsupported speculation has a greater probability of being wrong, where documented facts have a greater probability of being correct.
It says that there is little known about D.B., which makes the information about him to be more likely incorrect. Also, the statement that D.B. would likely take hostile action is not supported by any examples of fact. This along with the "fact" that this particular hostage group has a documented history of killing the remaining hostages, made him lower on my list than Brenda Jones.


Addy, to be honest, I did not look at sex, ethnicity, or any other personal emotions in my determination of my picks.

I know this may shock you, but very few men I know fall into your interpretations of "men" you portray on your blog; not saying I haven't met some like that. One of those great men that I do not see as being a "typical" is your hubby. Dang, 27 seconds went by and I forgot to think about sex again. What's my problem? Should I begin to question if I am really a man?

Also Addy, Sorry if I sorta treat you like family some times. Even though I don't know you very well, I know enough about you to feel comfortable sorta dissing you like any brother would his sister...and I would hope you feel the same in return. You silly lil troll. Hee hee

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Addy said...

"I know this may shock you, but very few men I know fall into your interpretations of "men" you portray on your blog; not saying I haven't met some like that. One of those great men that I do not see as being a "typical" is your hubby"

Teo words for ya' Danno....
Bull shit.

And I really do mean that in the most loving, understanding, and "totally ok with it", way.
Really, I do.
Also, your comment of:
"I know enough about you to feel comfortable sorta dissing you like any brother would his sister...and I would hope you feel the same in return."

I do to that too. Which is precisely why we've carried on this bonkers conversation as long as we have! :)

 
At 10:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel sorry for you. I hope someday you open your mind to learn better.

Later to this blog.

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger Addy said...

And we've come full circle folks!

How is it the person who writes for a change, and discusses the topics that most people try and sweep under their beds, is the one that gets pegged as being close minded?

Crazy world we live in.

Troll out

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
hit Counter